Project25 (P25) is a perfect example of the importance of technical advances. Today, public safety offices save lives on both sides of the spectrum using this technology. Its primary value is its easy adaptation to existing public systems – changing the speed of two-way communications. P25 increases the level of field performance using improved digital radio communications.
Local, state and federal agencies now communicate with other emergency offices faster. P25 responded to a need and developed a method for systems to share frequencies, while protecting the public’s welfare. What we see today is an advance digital two-way communications replacing an aging analog system.
P25’s conception is a result of collaboration between the Association of Public Safety Communications Officials (APCO), the National Association of State Telecommunications Directors (NASTD), The Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA) and the U.S. Federal Government. Each one of these organizations is committed to helping field resources in charge of saving lives. P25 features are built on industry compliance:
- Replacing the insufficiency of radio spectrum
- Extending the areas without loss of voice quality
- Raising the performance levels by integrating new bandwidth intensive
- Responding to public safety and security issues
Technology – Secured, Reliable and Trustworthy
Designed for efficiency, P25 is working with digital radio standards. The design accommodates organizations with high demand radio communications. It delivers a wide range of service with special considerations. One enhancing feature is the ability to exchange information with several systems. The synchronize communications connect multiple group or team operations. The industry refers to this as interoperability.
- National Security – Relies on effective communications as an essential defense of public safety.
- Training Armed Forces – Radio communications are critical to mission success. P25 is delivering wide range communications in field maneuvers, base operations and government logistics.
- Fire and Emergency – Field operations are dependent on radio communications. Uninterrupted coverage and clarity in remote, urban or rural areas is saving lives.
- Law Enforcement – Precise transmission of communications are mandatory. Officers on the road, in buildings or other environments depend on communications to protect public lives.
Present and Future Safety Communications
In an age of advancing technology, the costs of improvements are weighed against the performance of the investment. P25 is meets both of these attributes. This investment is driving the cost downward for public entities. The largest benefit ensures field responses without interruption among multiple agencies. Existing radio equipment compliant with P25 features can remain in operation, taking advantage of P25 cost savings. Management and users benefit from this feature, transitioning outdated equipment without impact to public safety.
Among the Industries adapting to P25 are airports, transit, utilities petroleum and chemical companies. Each one relies on real-time communications to manage safety during emergencies. Today’s radio users depend on P25 for their mission critical communications. When disaster strikes, P25’s task is to maintain communications between different levels of government. Fire fighters harness flames and law officials capture criminals in unpredictable situations. P25 ensures these professionals have wide-band communications to serve, protect and save lives.
- Real life circumstances – State Warning Centers connect quickly with hazmat spills.
- Routine or disaster events – Paramedics transmit patient vital signs directly to the hospital.
- Getting an injured officer to safety – Uninterrupted communications are critical rescue techniques.
Industry Compliance and Standards
P25 standards have a twenty-six year history supporting the public safety community. It continues to hold the community’s interest as a user driven standard. Public safety professionals managing the front lines of emergency responders depend on P25 for its uninterrupted communications. The internal programming of the radio works with P25 networks to determine the channel or frequency. Technology’s intervention remains successful in industry compliance, standards and agency performances, winning the support of the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS). An upcoming event to preview P25’s evolution is schedule in March of this year:
- 2017 International Wireless Communications Exposition (IWCE) – next P25 generation
- The events agenda boost a network of over 7,000 peers.
- Attending are industry professionals from state and local government, public safety, utility, transportation and business enterprises.
P25 is reducing professional casualties and saving public lives, by administering data applications for government agencies, local enforcement and emergency teams. Technically the system design supports operational requirements based on the current industry standards. If you are looking for a market proven and industry selected resource, contact our offices.