South Central Regional Sales Manager – TX and other states
WORK LOCATION: Home office
Extensive travel throughout the regional is required
RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS:
RELM Wireless Corporation is a well-known and frequently honored small business with a 60 year history of delivering technology solutions in the Land Mobile Radio industry (two-way radio). This company competes with great success against the large systems integrators and manufacturers who represent their most frequent competition. We are currently searching for an experienced Sales Professional with a proven track record of defining and executing effective sales strategies in the State and Local Government marketplace. In addition, the ability to take a leadership role in articulating and formulating the sales strategy will be a key ingredient for success. Develop and implement sales initiatives that are consistent with the company’s overall strategy. Develop strong customer relationships and knowledge across multiple levels and functions by understanding the RELM account business model, including vision, strategy, short and long-term goals, financial, business and competitor models. Orchestrate and lead the extended RELM team to understand the account’s strategy, business imperatives and top opportunities, and obtain full collaboration of internal product groups and external partners as necessary to meet the needs of key accounts. Position reports directly to VP of Sales and Marketing
5+ years of technical sales, sales engineering or sales management experience. The Regional Sales Manager has sales and account management responsibility to develop and grow the State and Local Government market at the executive levels within multiple State and Local organizations and agencies. This includes understanding the needs of the Public Safety Government Market by segment i.e. State Police, Department of Transportation, Emergency Management Office and other major related elements of the State and/or Local Government. The individual in this role will be a Land Mobile Radio industry expert to provide information, direction and input to RELM business unit teams to promote a comprehensive approach for the Government client. You can’t sell LMR over the phone. Extensive travel throughout the regional is required.
- Minimum of five years experience with selling and/or designing LMR communications systems.
- Demonstrated history of surpassing State and Local Government sales growth goals.
- Excellent communication, sales, and writing skills are required as well as highly developed negotiation skills.
- The ability to close State and Local Government sales must be demonstrated.
- An understanding of the proposal process with proposal assembly experience.
- A technical background selling complex end-to-end solutions is desired.
- Applicant must be self-motivated with the ability to solve problems.
- Creativity to envision new products, services, and applications.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: The right candidate will offer:
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five years of capture experience. Master’s degree preferred (MBA, MHA, MPH or equivalent).
- Requires the ability to lead multi-disciplinary and multi-organizational teams preparing government proposals in response to specific government requirements. A strong track record of working with sales and marketing teams to identify, qualify and CLOSE opportunities.
- Requires proven government sales leadership, organization and planning ability. Ability to recognize market problems and develop creative solutions.
- Must be able to nurture and develop long term business relationships.
- Ability to facilitate productivity and growth by sponsoring and championing new products, programs, and ideas through the encouragement of innovation.
- Must be able to demonstrate experience, understanding and success in writing and submitting and WINNING large government contracts.
- Prefer experience working with senior level executive departmental management.
- A general understanding of Government contracting vehicles. Knowledge of Government budget cycles, Grant management, acquisition/procurement policies and regulations. Formulate, communicate, coordinate, and implement the integrated capture and proposal strategies and plans with all opportunity stakeholders which will provide the customer with clear justification for award.
- Must have good work/life balance skill.
- Ability to effectively strategize with the RELM executive management team and report on sales status with expertise concerning pricing, technical and strategic business considerations.
- A history of managing and meeting financial targets (sales, revenue, margin, pipeline, etc.).
- A current understanding of LMR technology trends.
- Exceptional communication skills and the appropriate energy to pursue and close new business on behalf of a fast-growing company. Must be a motivated self starter.
- Knowledge and experience with the procedures, policies and personnel issuing Grant Monies and Funds to assist customer’s ability to purchase.
- Solid working knowledge of MS Office Suite is strongly desired.
We seek bright, positive and flexible people who also:
- Act with the highest integrity and professionalism in all their endeavors
- Utilize superior analytical and problem-solving skills
- Think creatively and focus on opportunities for growth, and lead others to do the same
- Express a strong desire to work in a team
- Respond effectively to management direction and clients’ needs
- Demonstrate the ability and initiative to handle increasing responsibility over time
- Possess a rolodex of contacts in related markets.
- Stability is critical. If you’ve worked in your current position for less than a year and/or you’ve held more than 2 positions in the past 4-5 years this likely is not a match.
- Selling to State and Local Governments is not like selling to commercial corporations/enterprises or retail. Qualified candidates will bring with them an established track record of selling Government customers.
NOTE: Candidate must be a United States Citizen or Naturalized Citizen of the United States.
The following describes the most important objectives the person filling this position will need to meet within the first year in order to be successful in the position:
Within the first 30 days:
1) Understand the RELM State and Local Government market position and strategy.
2) Understand financial targets and areas of responsibility.
3) Understand RELM organizational structure and compliance and proposal processes.
4) Complete orientation to RELM products and services.
Within 60 days:
1) Understand State and Local Government organizational structures, key contacts and issues
2) Complete introductions to key clients and business partners
Within 90 days:
1) Meet with State and Local Government clients to discuss issues and identify opportunities.
2) Develop plan and approach to meet financial target. Selling by this time has already commenced and a funnel of business is beginning to build.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for sales efforts that identify major programs within the Regional State and Local Governments and manage RELM efforts to secure a capture position within those opportunities- meet and exceed quarterly/yearly quota.
- Support preparation and pricing of proposals for State and Local Government bids.
- Assist with quarterly sales reports. Establish and execute multi-year strategic partner plans with critical market capture goals, program based objectives, design-in targets and preferred relationship status.
- Manage complex contract negotiation and work with legal counsel as required.
- Work with Marketing to identify potential deals/programs and develop the tactics and teams needed to bring them to fruition.
- Support trade show events as may be required.
- Manage RELM relationships- cultivate, influence and maintain strong relationships with decision makers and centers of influence with assigned agencies.
- Deliver and prepare product presentations and participate in demonstrations as needed.
- Complete all administrative tasks in a timely manner, including forecasting reports and other reports as requested by management.
- Maintains up-to-date customer contacts.
- Maintains technical proficiency.
- Provides to Product Marketing team current customer and competitor intelligence.